Magnesium is a master mineral…a youthing secret. Getting sufficient magnesium is one of the keys for for health and longevity. Most people today are severely deficient in magnesium, getting less than half of what their ancestors did only a century ago. In a Palaeolithic diet the calcium to magnesium ratio used to be about 1 to 1. On the Standard American diet, it is more like 15 to 1.
Magnesium is essential for your energy, cell growth, nerves, muscles and heart and arterial system. It helps you to relax both physically and mentally. Magnesium dissolves excess calcium in the body. It is antagonistic toward aluminium, cadmium, lead, mercury and nickel, so is essential for good health if you live in a polluted environment.
Magnesium is a difficult mineral to supplement orally, especially as we need so much. If you take magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts) it will give you diarrhoea. Most other magnesium salts taken orally also have a laxative effect. The answer is through your skin. If you live near clean ocean water, a daily swim helps provide some magnesium and a wonderful range of other minerals through your skin. Your body does take up nutrients through your skin (contrary to many old-fashioned out-of-date doctors who say your skin is an impervious barrier).
- Health benefits of magnesium
- Improves sleep quality.
- Calms overactive nerves, relieves stress and depression.
- Boosts energy level.
- Strengthens immune system.
- Hydrates and strengthens skin.
- Helps proper muscle function.
- Relieves aches, pains, spasms.
- Improves bone strength, and protects from loss of bone (osteoporosis).
- Required for protection and recovery from arthritis.
- Important for recovery from many other degenerative diseases
- It is an essential alkaline mineral for detoxification.
A few very deficient people even get a slight rash. So when you first start to use it, just apply a little to the exposed parts of your arms and legs, and wait half an hour to see what happens. If your skin reacts, it is a sign of how deficient you are – just dilute it half with filtered or spring water. Within a few days your magnesium level will start to build up.
The best way to apply the oil is with a spray. Put a little on your hand, and rub it over your arms and legs. As your magnesium level builds up to normal, you can rub it all over your body.
- It is hard to overdose with magnesium oil because your skin only absorbs as much as you need. However, if you are deficient and you take a large dose, the absorption can sting and itch (see above).
- Most of the absorption takes place within 20 minutes.
- Remove any oils, lotions, cremes or other barriers before you apply the magnesium oil.
- Don’t put the oil in your mouth, eyes, nose or mucus membranes. It may sting on open cuts or wounds, but can be beneficial.
- Dosage. 1-2 teaspoons per day for an adult. Use a high dosage during the first 3-4 months, to ensure proper restoration of cellular magnesium levels. Some people use less after this time – everyone is different.
- You can use it for children. Start with a small, dilute quantity, or use in the bath. Pets also love it.
- If you want to shower or rinse off the magnesium oil after using it, wait 20 minutes after application.